Landscaping in Bethesda MD: Trees You Should Avoid
They may look beautiful and provide a lot of shade, but there are certain trees that you should avoid in the landscaping of your Bethesda MD home. These are:
- Silver maple (Acer saccharinum) – these trees have weak, brittle wood, that may break during big storms. Their roots are shallow and invade sewage and sprinkler pipes. They are also known for cracking driveways and walkways.
- Ash (Fraxinus) – These are sturdy and tough trees; unfortunately, they won’t be around long term. They are vulnerable to the emerald ash borer, and that little beetle is going to be wiping out this species of trees. So, if you’re looking for a long-term tree for the landscaping at your Bethesda MD home, you should look elsewhere.
- Hybrid Poplars (Populus) – These grow fast and look good, but don’t last long-term. These Poplars are susceptible to diseases, and most won’t last more than 15 years.
- Willow (Salix) – Beautiful but have water-hungry root systems that invade and clog drain fields, sewer lines, and irrigation pipes. The wood is weak and prone to cracking, and the tree is relatively short-lived, lasting only about 30 years.
- Bradford pear (Pyrus calleryana) – These became a suburban favorite, until everyone realized that they are highly prone to splitting and cracking when it reached maturity.
- Mountain cedar (Juniperus ashei) – For anyone that is allergy prone, these trees release massive amounts of pollen in the late winter, and can cause severe reactions.
- Black walnut (Juglans nigra) – These trees produce a significant amount of pollen and nuts you will have to clean up in the fall. Worst of all, these trees secrete growth-inhibiting toxins that kill nearby plants, wreaking havoc on flower beds and vegetable gardens.
For more information on trees you should avoid in the landscaping of your Bethesda MD home, please contact East Coast Landscape Design. Successful landscaping begins with a solid design that includes a balanced choice of plants, shrubs, and trees for your Bethesda MD property. Every East Coast landscaping installation is completed with the utmost care and attention that you expect from a professional landscape company like East Coast Landscape Design.